This amazing plum crumble comes with a little twist: added red wine and Cointreau give it this little something. Grown ups will love this plum dessert. A good crumble always brings joy for everyone around the table.
I always have loads of home grown plums in my freezer so I now and then opt to make an old favourite: plum crumble. I made a syrup with some red wine and spices to add to the plums and the smell of the crumbles cooking was heavenly. I did of course make an extra one for us to enjoy that night.
Try our other dessert recipes: White Meringue Dessert with Strawberries and Cream, Quick & Easy Chocolate Coconut Mousse or The best Mini Blueberry and Thyme Tarts.
Juicy Plum Crumble
- 6 purple plums large, cut in half and stones removed
- 125 ml red wine
- 1 tblsp Cointreau
- 1 orange the zest
- ½ orange juiced
- 4 tblsp caster sugar
- 1 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
For the crumble
- 150 g plain flour
- 50 g ground almonds
- 100 g butter cut into cubes
- 80 g brown sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Place the prepared plums into an ovenproof dish (approx. 18cm x 25cm).
- Place the wine, Cointreau, orange zest, juice, caster sugar and spices into a frying pan and bring to the boil.
- Continue to boil for a few minutes until the sauce has reduced and turned syrupy.
- Remove the whole spices and pour the sauce over the plums.
- To make the crumble
Using your fingers (or a food mixer) rub the butter into the flour and ground almonds until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Mix in the sugar and a couple of drops of water.
- Sprinkle the crumble mixture over the plums and bake in the oven for 30 – 35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and serve warm with cream or custard.
Image credits: Unless otherwise stated: ©Angela Darroch, ©Pro Stock Media via Canva.com or ©Unsplash.com. As an Amazon affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases. The links marked with an asterisk (*) are so-called commission links. If you click on one of these links and make a purchase, I receive a commission from your purchase. This income helps us to run this website and to provide our recipes free of charge. The price does not change for you.