I always have loads of home grown plums in my freezer so I now and then opt to make an old favourite: plum crumble. I made a syrup with some red wine and spices to add to the plums and the smell of the crumbles cooking was heavenly. I did of course make an extra one for us to enjoy that night.
Juicy Plum Crumble
- 6 purple plums large, cut in half and stones removed
- 125 ml red wine
- 1 tblsp Cointreau
- 1 orange the zest
- ½ orange juiced
- 4 tblsp caster sugar
- 1 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
For the crumble
- 150 g plain flour
- 50 g ground almonds
- 100 g butter cut into cubes
- 80 g brown sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Place the prepared plums into an ovenproof dish (approx. 18cm x 25cm).
- Place the wine, Cointreau, orange zest, juice, caster sugar and spices into a frying pan and bring to the boil.
- Continue to boil for a few minutes until the sauce has reduced and turned syrupy.
- Remove the whole spices and pour the sauce over the plums.
- To make the crumble
Using your fingers (or a food mixer) rub the butter into the flour and ground almonds until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Mix in the sugar and a couple of drops of water.
- Sprinkle the crumble mixture over the plums and bake in the oven for 30 – 35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and serve warm with cream or custard.