These wonderful little treats enchant with a wonderful taste of both blueberries and fine thyme. Blueberry tartelettes are especially tasty with fresh berries, but can be made all year round with frozen blueberries. Try our recipe right away!
The right tartelette cases
You can use ready-made shortcrust pastry cases for these little tartlets or make them yourself. These mini tartelettes have a diameter of 8 – 12 cm. Here is how to make the shortcrust cases by yourself.
Fresh thyme or dried?
For this delicate recipe, it is important to use fresh thyme. Dried thyme has an altered and intensified flavour that comes out too strongly. You can also use sprigs of lemon thyme.
French style Mini Blueberry and Thyme Tarts
- Put the blueberries, thyme, lemon juice and a teaspoon of water into a pan and bring to the boil. Simmer for 10 minutes until the fruit is very soft.
- Remove from the heat and push the fruit through a sieve set over a bowl to extract as much juice as possible.
- Put the butter, sugar, vanilla extract and blueberry juice into a pan and heat until the butter has fully melted. Then remove from the heat and let the mixture cool down slightly before adding the beaten eggs.
- Return to the heat and keep stirring for 20 – 25 minutes until thickened. The mixture will thicken further once cooled down. I prefer to strain through a sieve once thickened just to remove any lumps.
- Whip the cream until soft peak stage. Add the blueberry curd to the cream (reserving some curd for decoration) and mix well.
- Pour into the tart cases and smooth the tops. The recipe for shortcrust tarts you finde here.
- Stir some of the reserved curd through the mixture to decorate. The refrigerate until set and serve cooled and with lots of love.
Image credits: Unless otherwise stated: ©Angela Darroch, ©Pro Stock Media via Canva.com or ©Unsplash.com. As an Amazon affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases. The links marked with an asterisk (*) are so-called commission links. If you click on one of these links and make a purchase, I receive a commission from your purchase. This income helps us to run this website and to provide our recipes free of charge. The price does not change for you.