Sausages and leek are an adorable team! You cannot go wrong with our easy and quick recipe for this delicious meal.
Easy bake recipe for dinner
This simple dish is ready in just a few easy steps and draws a happy smile on the faces of your children and friends. You can precook the pasta and keep it for up to 2 days in the fridge, it’ll go even faster that way.
Even those who do not like onions will be delighted with this dish. Leeks have a much milder flavour than onions and tend to be a bit softer if cooked well. Leeks are also a good source of Vitamins A, C and K so I am more than happy that they eat them. On the side serve a light green salad or some fresh joghurt-cucumbers with this meal to lighten it a bit.
Sausage, Leek and Pasta Bake
- 250 g Penne pasta tubes
- 50 g butter
- 50 g flour
- 600 ml milk
- 600 ml milk
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- salt and pepper
- 2 tblsp olive oil
- 1 leek washed and sliced thinly
- 400g Cumberland sausages
- 25 g fresh breadcrumbs
- 60 g cheddar cheese, grated
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (325°F).
- Boil pasta in plenty of salted water according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Drain and toss with a little oil. Set to one side.
- To make the sauce - Melt the butter in a saucepan and then stir in the flour to make a roux.
- Remove from the heat and gradually stir in the milk.
- Return to the heat and stir continuously until thickened. Whisk in the mustard and season to taste. Set to one side.
- For the meat and leek mixture - Heat the olive oil and lightly fry the sliced leeks until soft.
- Remove the skins from the sausages and break up each sausage into small chunks.
- Add to the leeks and fry until cooked and golden brown.
- Deglaze the pan with a splash of white wine or water.
- Add the sausage mixture to the pasta and mix well.
- Place into a baking dish.
- Pour the white sauce over the pasta and sausage mixture, mixing well.
- Mix together the breadcrumbs, grated cheese and paprika and sprinkle over the top of the pasta.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes.