Sausages and leeks are a winning combination! Now add pasta and cheese to the equation and you suddenly have a cheesy sausage leek pasta bake guaranteed to please even the most picky eaters at your dinner table!
Of all the sausage pasta bake recipes I’ve tried, this has to me one of my absolute favourites which is why I’m so excited to be sharing it with you today.
Easy Dinner Recipe Bake
This simple dish is ready in just a few easy steps with minimal effort and maximum appreciation from those lucky enough to be served this sausage pasta bake. And If you find yourself in a rush, you can always pre-cook your pasta and store it in the fridge for up to 2 days which will help you to cut down even further on your cooking time for this recipe.
Which makes it a perfect dish for meal planning.
A Great Way To Incorporate Healthy Leeks
Not everyone enjoys the idea of eating leeks but adding pasta and sausages really helps to mask that strong leek taste which is great when trying to introduce healthy vegetables in your family’s diet.
Even those who do not like onions will be delighted with this dish. Leeks have a much milder flavour than onions and tend to be a bit softer if cooked well. Leeks are also a good source of Vitamins A, C and K so I am more than happy that they eat them.
You can keep left overs of this sausage pasta bake recipe in the fridge for a few days. It can also be frozen perfectly fine.
Serve this sausage pasta bake with a side of light green salad or fresh yoghurt-cucumbers for a lighter contrast to this hearty bake and enjoy!
Also try an Italian version of pasta and sausages.
Amazing Sausage Pasta Bake
- 250 g Penne pasta tubes
- 50 g butter
- 50 g all purpose flour
- 600 ml milk
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- salt and pepper
- 2 tblsp olive oil
- 1 leek washed and sliced thinly
- 400 g Cumberland sausages or else
- 25 g breadcrumbs
- 60 g cheddar cheese grated
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (325°F).
- Boil pasta in plenty of salted water according to manufacturer’s instructions. Drain and toss with a little oil. Set to one side.
To make the sauce
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and then stir in the flour to make a roux. Remove from the heat and gradually stir in the milk.Return to the heat and stir continuously until thickened. Whisk in the mustard and season to taste. Set to one side.
For the meat and leek mixture
- Heat the olive oil and lightly fry the sliced leeks until soft.
- Remove the skins from the sausages and break up each sausage into small chunks. Add to the leeks and fry until cooked and golden brown.
- Deglaze the pan with a splash of white wine or water. Add the sausage mixture to the pasta and mix well.
- Place into a baking dish. Pour the white sauce over the pasta and sausage mixture, mixing well.Mix together the breadcrumbs, grated cheese and paprika and sprinkle over the top of the pasta.
- Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes.
Image credits: Unless otherwise stated: ©Angela Darroch, ©Pro Stock Media via Canva.com or ©Unsplash.com. As an Amazon affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases. The links marked with an asterisk (*) are so-called commission links. If you click on one of these links and make a purchase, I receive a commission from your purchase. This income helps us to run this website and to provide our recipes free of charge. The price does not change for you.