This healthy chickpea curry with spinach is one of my favourites when I want a light,plant-based meal. It’s packed with flavour and is so quick and easy to make. A perfect mid-week meal. Try this vegan easy peasy chickpea curry.
Why You Should Try This Vegan Curry
This chickpea and spinach curry is a substantial and delicious meal but it is also an extremely low cost main meal option that you can easily incorporate into your meal prepping.
All of the ingredients combined in this chickpea and potato curry give it an incredible taste while being healthy, filling and easy on the pocket. And if that’s not enough, it also takes less than an hour to make.
It’s also a great recipe that can easily be doubled to feed a larger crowd or to store away as a meal for another day of the week when you may be too busy to labour in the kitchen!
The tender indian curry chickpeas, which are added to a tomato-onion gravy with soft spinach and flavored with just a handful of spices, give this vegan dish wonderful body and creaminess, allowing you to eat a chickpea curry without coconut milk. Yummy!
A Healthier Vegetarian Option
This dish is a great source of iron from the spinach and protein from the chickpeas which makes it one of the healthiest curries you could make.
Who knew that curried chickpeas and spinach would soon become a family favourite in my household, but it has. With this recipe, you can expect to get four large servings, or six if served with some basmati rice, naan bread, or perhaps a green salad on the side.
Give this low-cost, vegan curry a try and if you want to try other curry recipes that I can vouch for, check out my Creamy Kashmiri Chicken Curry. Either way, you won’t be disappointed.
Chickpea and Spinach Curry Recipe
- 100 g spinach fresh
- 4 medium sized potatoes peeled and cut into 1cm cubes
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 1 tin chickpeas 380 g, drained
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes 390 g
- 1 tblsp ghee or sunflower oil
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 small piece of fresh ginger peeled and finely chopped
- 3 tsps. curry powder
- 2 tsps. garam masala
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp salt
- In a large pan, heat the oil and add onion and ginger. Cook on medium heat until softened, after 5 minutes add the garlic and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Add all the spices and cook for a further 1 minute.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, chickpeas, cubed potatoes, salt and about half of the vegetable stock. Stir well and simmer gently for about 20 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked, adding more stock as needed.
- Add the spinach and cook for a further couple of minutes or until the spinach has wilted. Serve with rice or bread.