This rather delectable Chicken Casserole ticks all the boxes for a warm and comforting Autumnal meal. I could go on and on about the gorgeous aroma, the delicious sauce and the juicy, fall off the bone chicken but it’s probably much easier to just say that it’s been a firm family favourite for at least the past 20 years and never fails to please.
Give it a go – you won’t be disappointed.
Hearty Chicken Casserole, Burgundy
- Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F). Heat the olive oil in a pan and brown the chicken, skin side down until nice and crisp. Arrange the chicken, skin side up in an oven proof baking dish.
- Sprinkle the chicken with the salt and smoked paprika. Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
- While the chicken is in the oven, prepare the sauce by adding the onion and red pepper to the pan drippings and sauté until soft. Add the mushrooms, thyme and a little extra oil if necessary and stir fry until soft.
- Sprinkle in the flour and stir through to mix well .Add the chicken stock, red wine, tomato paste, salt, sugar and Worcestershire sauce and stir until thickened.
- When the chicken is done, uncover and pour off any excess fat.
- Pour the sauce over and add the onions to the dish.
- Cover and bake for a further 45 mins.
Image credits: Unless otherwise stated: ©Angela Darroch, ©Pro Stock Media via Canva.com or ©Unsplash.com. As an Amazon affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases. The links marked with an asterisk (*) are so-called commission links. If you click on one of these links and make a purchase, I receive a commission from your purchase. This income helps us to run this website and to provide our recipes free of charge. The price does not change for you.