This creamy sausage stew recipe, or sausage and mushroom casserole, is a quick meal. It is popular with the whole family. It’s ready in no time. Make sure you use good ingredients and you will be rewarded with a rich dish. Try our recipe now.
Serve the Sausage and Mushroom Stroganoff over noodles or rice, potatoes, mashed potatoes, freshly baked bread or simply a green salad. Top it with a dollop of cream, single or double.
Tips for a perfect sausage mushroom casserole
- You can also use dried mushrooms. If using these, soak them in warm water for at least 20 minutes before adding them to the dish.
- Cook the sausages on a medium-high heat until they are evenly browned all over. Do not overcook them, they will become too hard otherwise.
- Do not cook the dish after adding the yoghurt to it. This is supposed to be the last step before serving.
- This dish can also be made in a slow cooker.
Different variations of the sausage mushroom stroganoff recipe include
- changing up the type of sausage used
- adding additional vegetables such as carrots or celery
- using different types of mushrooms or a combination of mushrooms
- omitting yogurt
You can keep leftover Sausage Stroganoff in the fridge for several days. It is also suitable for freezing and will last for several months.
ALso try our Creamy Venison Mushroom Stew or Hearty Chicken Casserole.
My famous Sausage Stroganoff
- 8 pork sausages
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion chopped finely
- 4 bacon rashers chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped finely
- 500 g mushrooms sliced
- 250 ml beef stock
- 60 ml tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika powder
- 60 ml plain yogurt
- Grill or lightly fry sausages until cooked and nicely browned. Slice each sausage into 3 or 4 pieces and set to one side. Add olive oil to a frying pan and fry onions until soft. Add bacon and garlic to the pan and continue to fry until the bacon is cooked.
- Now add the mushrooms and continue to fry for approximately 5 minutes or until mushrooms are soft. Pour in the beef stock, tomato paste and paprika powder and bring to a simmer, stirring well.
- Add the cooked sausage pieces and continue to simmer for 5 more minutes. Turn off heat.
- Stir in yogurt, mix well until heated through. Serve with mashed potato or rice.
All content 100% human written! Image credits: Unless otherwise stated: ©Angela Darroch, ©Pro Stock Media via Canva.com or ©Unsplash.com. As an Amazon affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Be the first to comment