My slowly cooked lamb casserole recipe is inspired by a typical South African recipe. It is the perfect dish to warm body and soul. The aromatic herbs and sweet tomatoes make this oven-baked casserole very special. The secret of this recipe is time. After 1,5 hours oven time, this lamb just melts in your mouth.
Serve with french fries, rice, boiled or mashed potatoes as well as potato cakes. Also a freshly baked bread goes perfectly with it.
Pre-cook and store leftovers
This recipe is perfect for cooking in advance. Because if the stew can sit in a cool place for about 12 – 24 h, it’s perfectly done. Leftovers can be easily stored in plastic or glass boxes in the fridge for 3-4 days or frozen.
South African savoury Lamb Casserole
- Casserole pan
- 4 lamb leg chops large, (approx 700g)
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 35 g flour
- olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped finely
- 375 ml lamb (or beef) stock
- 1 tin canned tomatoes 390 g, whole
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- ¾ tbsp Worcester sauce
- Preheat oven to 160° C (320 F).
- Cut lamb chops in half to make 8 neat pieces and remove any excess fat.
- Mix together the paprika, herbs, curry powder, flour and salt and coat meat on both sides. Add olive oil to your pan and brown the chops lightly on both sides until nicely coloured. Transfer to a baking dish to fit closely.
- Add a little more oil to your pan, and fry your onions and garlic. Add any of the remaining flour mixture to the onions and garlic, then add the stock. Stir well, making sure all the residue from the pan is stirred into the stock.
- Add the tomatoes, sugar and Worcester sauce, mixing well. Remove from the heat and pour over the chops.
- Bake, covered for 1 hour 30 minutes.
Image credits: Unless otherwise stated: ©Angela Darroch, ©Pro Stock Media via Canva.com or ©Unsplash.com. As an Amazon affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases. The links marked with an asterisk (*) are so-called commission links. If you click on one of these links and make a purchase, I receive a commission from your purchase. This income helps us to run this website and to provide our recipes free of charge. The price does not change for you.