Apple Crumble is a favorite dessert for many and for a good reason. This is another recipe that will take you back to your childhood. Check out my “no-fail” recipe tutorial on how to make the perfect apple crumble!
Apple Crumble is a simple dessert which uses the same ingredients as apple pie only there are no pastry involved, just delicious apples, butter and sugar with a topping of crumble to complete it. This dessert can easily be paired with ice-cream or custard for anyone who loves these desserts more than cakes any day!
You can refine your apple crumble recipe with the following ingredients:
- Add sultanas to the apple mixture
- Almonds or other nuts can be sprinkled on top before baking.
- For adults, white wine or apple cider gives a great flavour. Add about 50 ml of this to the apples and cook the apple mixture over a low heat for a few minutes before pouring it into the baking dish and baking.
- Crumble can also be baked with other fruits, like plum crumble
- Replace half of the flour with oat flakes for extra crunch.
What goes with it?
British apple crumble is best to be served with whipped cream, vanilla sauce or vanilla ice cream. Apple crumble with custard also is delicious.
Juicy Apple Crumble
For the dough:
- 300 g wheat flour
- 200 g golden caster sugar
- 200 g butter
- 1 pinch of salt
Ingredients for the filling:
- 500 g apples tart variety
- ½ vanilla pod
- 2 tbsp golden caster sugar
- 1 pinch cinnamon ground
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp rolled oats optional
- Take out all ingredients from the fridge well in advance, they should be at room temperature.
- Prepare the crumble for the topping first. Put flour, sugar and a pinch of salt in a wide bowl and mix well. Add the butter one piece at a time and mix it with the flour/sugar mixture using a hand mixer on high speed to make crumbles. The consistency should be thick and crumbly.If the batter is too runny, add a little more flour. Place the crumble in the fridge until ready to use.
- Wash and core the apples, then cut into thin slices. Put them in a bowl and mix lemon juice, sugar, scrape out the vanilla pod, the pinch of salt and the cinnamon.
- Now grease the baking dish well with butter or vegetable oil. First put the apple mixture into the dish and then, using your fingers, spread the crumble evenly over it in a thick layer. The surface should be well covered.Scatter the rolled oats over the top if you like.
- Bake the apple crumble for about 20 minutes until the crumble is a nice golden brown.
- Then take it out of the oven, let it cool a little and serve it warm.