This lovely courgette soup recipe has added the little gourmet extra: brie cheese. You might think, these two ingredients do not go along, but they do!
The cheese adds a special touch to this soup, which makes it go from an everyday soup to a festive soup.Served with crispy, homemade croutons and a dash of sour cream, this light soup becomes a highlight.
Tips for a good result
- Start by roasting your courgettes whole in a hot oven until they are soft and slightly charred. This will add great flavour to your soup.
- Add enough of creamy brie cheese to your soup for a rich and delicious flavour. If you do not like the slightly bitter taste or the brie’s rind, remove it before adding to the soup.
How to pick out fresh courgettes
When you purchase the courgettes, be sure to inspect them for freshness and damage. The courgettes should be firm and free of blemishes or bruising. The ends should be firm, not soft.
In general, the bigger the courgette (zucchine) the more bitterness it holds. So you better choose smaller ones.
If possible, try to buy courgettes that were picked within the last day or two. Once you have brought the courgettes home, store them in the refrigerator and use them within a few days for the best quality and flavor.
Courgette (zucchine) and Brie Soup
- 2 large leeks washed and sliced
- 50 g butter
- 750 g courgettes (about 3 – 4), sliced
- 80 g Brie
- 2 medium sized potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 L chicken or vegetable stock
- 100 ml white wine
- Sauté the sliced leeks in butter until they get soft.
- Add the courgettes, potatoes as well as stock and white wine (if served to kids, leave it out) and simmer for approximately 20 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the brie and simmer for a further couple of minutes just to soften the cheese.
- Remove from the heat and pureé the mixture until smooth.
- Heat through, check for seasoning and serve.