Pumpkin is a versatile and delicious squash that can be enjoyed in many ways. One of our favorite recipes is this grilled pumpkin slices recipe. It’s easy to make, and the result is a healthy and flavorful dish that everyone will love. Give it a try at your next bbq!
Serve as is, or top with your favorite fall flavors like crumbled bacon, shredded cheese, or diced red onions. You can grill any kind of pumpkin. Read on and we show you how to roast pumpkin right away.
Do I have to peel the pumpkin?
Don’t peel the pumpkin before grilling, this will prevent the soft flesh from burning. Varieties like butternut squash can even be eaten with the peel, as it is so thin that it is edible
The pumpkin seeds are too good to go. They make a wonderful snack if you roast them in a pan without oil or let them bake in the oven.
Clean the strings off them first.
You can grill the pumpkin in halves or, if you have a large pumpkin, cut it into thicker slices
Seasoning your roast squash
We like to use simply sesame oil, as it is aromatic and has this little something.
But to season your roast pumpkin slices, you have different options. You could go the savory route and add some herbs and spices, or you could add a sweet glaze or sauce. If you’re feeling creative, you could even try combining sweet and savory flavors. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
For a savory seasoning
- try rubbed sage, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper and sea salt.
- a blend of Rosemary, thyme, oregano, paprika and cumin.
- Salt and Barbeque spice blend
For a sweet seasoning
- mix together brown sugar, molasses, cinnamon and allspice.
- drizzle the pumpkin slices with honey or maple syrup before or after grilling.
Combine sweet and savory flavors
- try brushing the pumpkin slices with barbecue sauce before grilling. Then sprinkle with brown sugar or honey after they’ve been cooked.
- Another option is to drizzle the pumpkin slices with balsamic vinegar before grilling, then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese after they come off the grill.
No matter what seasonings you choose, your grilled pumpkin slices are sure to be delicious!
Grilled pumpkin with sesame oil
- 1 pumpkin about 1 kg (2 lb)
- 5 tbsp sesame oil
- Cut the pumpkin in half and scrape out the seeds with a spoon. Depending on the type of pumpkin, you may not need to peel the pumpkin.
- Cut it into wide slices or just halve it. Place the cut side of the pumpkin on the grill for 10 to 15 minutes. Then take the pieces off the grill and brush the cut surface with sesame oil. Then place the other side of the pumpkin slices or halves on the grill and grill for another 20 minutes.
- Finally, remove the grilled pumpkin flesh from the skin with a large spoon and serve on a plate with a little sesame oil and a pinch of salt.
Image credits: Unless otherwise stated: ©Angela Darroch, ©Pro Stock Media via Canva.com or ©Unsplash.com. As an Amazon affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases. The links marked with an asterisk (*) are so-called commission links. If you click on one of these links and make a purchase, I receive a commission from your purchase. This income helps us to run this website and to provide our recipes free of charge. The price does not change for you.