This Peri Peri Sauce recipe is not for the faint hearted, but if you are a chilli fan then you have to try this. Peri Peri sauce or (Piri Piri sauce) was brought to South Africa by the Portuguese and has since been popularised by Nando’s.
Peri Peri sauce makes a great marinade for roast chicken and another very popular dish in South Africa is Peri Peri chicken livers.
In our recipe we use the very hot Scotch Bonnet chillies because they are readily available in most places. If you can get African Bird’s Eye chillies, use these. They are used in the original South African recipe.
Recipe for Basic Peri Peri Sauce
- Place all ingredients except for the water and cornflour into a mini blender and pulse together until well combined.
- Pass this mixture through a sieve and into a pan. Bring to the boil.
- Mix the cornflour and a small amount of the water to a thick paste.
- Add this paste and the remaining water to the chilli mixture and continue to stir until your sauce has thickened.
- Remove from the heat and cool completely.