This yummy potato cake recipe will be love at first bite. Soft and crispy potato cakes, topped with caramllized onions and a piquante pepper salsa!
The meal below is my idea of comfort food. If you have left over mashed potato then make up a batch of these potato cakes .
You don’t need to be too precise with the ingredients. A bit of this and bit of that is normally what goes on. You can’t really go wrong with hot, fried mashed potato and of course topped with the Peppadew salsa it is heaven.
My favourite Potato Cakes with Pepper Salsa
- Mixing bowl
For the pepper salsa
- 1 tblsp olive oil
- 1 red onion small, sliced
- 300 g Peppadew mild piquante peppers, sliced in half
- 2 tblsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 small handful of fresh basil leaves chopped
The potato cakes
- 2 cups mashed potato
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 2 tblsp flour
- 2 tblsp red onion finely chopped
- 1 small handful fresh parsley chopped
To make the salsa
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the sliced onions and peppers and cook for 5 minutes, or until the onion is softened. Add the balsamic vinegar and basil, season and warm through for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and keep warm.
To make the potato cakes
- In a mixing bowl, combine the potato, cheese, flour, chopped onion and parsley. On a separate plate, have some flour ready for dredging the potato cakes.
- Measure out equal parts of the potato mixture and shape each one into a pattie using your hands. Dredge in the flour.
- Add some sunflower oil to a non stick frying pan and lightly saute each pattie for a couple of minutes on each side until golden brown and crisp on the outside.
- Stack the potato cakes on your serving plate, spooning your warm salsa over and around them.
- Add some fresh basil leaves on top.
Image credits: Unless otherwise stated: ©Angela Darroch, ©Pro Stock Media via Canva.com or ©Unsplash.com. As an Amazon affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases. The links marked with an asterisk (*) are so-called commission links. If you click on one of these links and make a purchase, I receive a commission from your purchase. This income helps us to run this website and to provide our recipes free of charge. The price does not change for you.