This rich and hearty recipe is one of the Belgian signature dishes. It fills and warms you, not only in Winter. The Belgian kitchen is rich of hearty dishes, just like this one.
The most important factor for this dish is time. The meat has be cooked for around 2, better 3 hours on low heat. Your patience will be rewarded with one of the most tender meat you will ever eat. For the stew meat, choose shoulder meat if possible.
The right beer
For the dark beer, choose a brand not too bitter in taste. IPA is not a good choice for the Flemish beer stew.
Serve this special recipe with French Fries or potatoes.
Dark Flemish Beer Stew “Stoofvlees of stoverij”
- 1 kg beef stew meat cut to medium sized cubes
- 100 ml dark beer originally “Rodenbach” beer
- 2 medium sized onions
- 1-2 slices dark brown bread
- 2 tbsp yellow or Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1 clove
- 2 laurel bay leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- 2-3 sprigs thyme
- balsamic vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 tbsp butter
- salt & pepper
- Take a big pot with a thick base.
- Wash the stew meat and remove from tendons.
- Cut the onions into not too thin slices, mince the garlic cloves.
- Add butter to a frying pan and fry the meat chunks until browned. Add the onion now.
- Fill the herbs and spices into a tea egg so you can easily remove them at the end.
- Add the dark beer and all the spices in the tea egg.
- Cover the pot and let it simmer on low heat 2 – 3 hours until the meat is tender.
- Uncover the pot, add the mustard and place the slices of bread on top of the dish. Let it simmer until the desired thickness of the stew is reached. The bread will slowly dissolve and thicken the dish.
- Remove the herbs.
- Add the vinegar and stir.
- The stew is now ready.
- Serve with French Fries.
Image credits: Unless otherwise stated: ©Angela Darroch, ©Pro Stock Media via Canva.com or ©Unsplash.com. As an Amazon affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases. The links marked with an asterisk (*) are so-called commission links. If you click on one of these links and make a purchase, I receive a commission from your purchase. This income helps us to run this website and to provide our recipes free of charge. The price does not change for you.