Cinnamon stars cookies are a German Christmas classic. With the right baking moulds, you can easily bake them yourself. You only need a few ingredients and you get soft, cinnamony treats.
Cinnamon cookies simply good: the baking time
Because the baking time can vary slightly, you should make sure that the cinnamon stars do not become hard and brown. First, preheat the oven well, put the tray on the middle shelf and let the stars bake for just a short time according to the recipe baking time.
As soon as they start to brown, turn off the oven and leave them in for a while.
The stars don’t actually bake, they just dry. That’s why the baking temperature is so low and the baking time short.
The right storage
Cinnamon stars cookies quickly become hard. Store them in an airtight container, preferably in a tin with a piece of apple skin. This way, the Christmas biscuits will keep for 2 months.
You can also freeze cinnamon stars in suitable containers. Defrost them at room temperature before eating.
German Cinnamon Stars Cookies
- 400 g ground almonds
- 5 egg whites
- 400 g icing sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- First, squeeze half an organic lemon and collect the juice.If you want to grind the almond kernels yourself, you can use a multi-grinder, a nut grinder or a coffee grinder.
- Then line a baking tray with baking paper and preheat the oven to 140 ° C top/bottom heat (275° F, 120 ° C convection).
- Beat the egg whites in a mixing bowl with a hand mixer until very stiff, gradually add the icing sugar, stir it in and add the lemon juice. Beat until the mixture is glossy and creamy. For the icing, take 4 tablespoons of the mixture and put it aside.
- Now stir the ground almonds and the cinnamon into the egg white and sugar cream and knead everything into a dough. Cover the dough and refrigerate it overnight, or at least for 3 hours.
- Roll out the dough to a thickness of 1 cm on a floured work surface and cut out stars with a star cutter. Place them on the prepared baking tray at a sufficient distance apart and brush each one with the egg white sugar cream.
- Leave the cinnamon stars to dry/bake for 30 to 40 minutes.
- They should not brown and should still be a little soft. Then take them out and let them cool.