Toffee cupcakes with a caramel buttercream are a delicious variation on the classic cupcake. These treats are made with a vanilla flavoured cake and are topped with a rich, creamy toffee frosting. They’re perfect for any occasion, and they’re sure to please even the pickiest of eaters.
So if you’re looking for something a little bit different, give these sticky toffee cupcakes a try. You won’t be disappointed.
How to store the cupcakes
To store toffee cupcakes, be sure to place them in an airtight container or bag. You can also wrap each cupcake individually in plastic wrap before placing them in the container or bag. To keep the cupcakes moist, you can place a piece of moistened paper towel in the bottom of the container or bag.
Delicious Toffee Cupcakes with Buttercream
Caramel sauce / toffee:
- 220 g sugar
- 60 g Butter
- 150 ml cream
- 150 g Butter
- 150 g Powdered sugar
- 150 g Caramel sauce
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C, 400°F, Gas 6. Arrange 8 – 12 paper cases in the muffin baking tin.
- Sift the flour, sugar and baking powder into a mixing bowl.Whisk together the egg, milk, oil and vanilla. Stir in the dry ingredients until combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases and bake for 20 minutes until golden brown. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes.
To make the toffee sauce
- During baking time, heat the sugar and water in a high pan over low heat until the sugar has dissolved and starts to brown. You do not need to stir. Continue cooking, and again do not stir, until the sugar turns a golden amber.
- Slowly pour the cream into the pan. It will bubble up but not enough to spill over the edge of the pan. Stir until well combined. Let cook for half a minute, stirring and turn off the heat.Set aside to chill.
Making the buttercream
- Cut the butter at room temperature into small bites and mix with the powdered sugar. Beat with the hand or mixer until soft anf fluffy.
- Now spoon in the caramel sauce and mix well.
- Top every baked cupcake with buttercream using a piping bag. Drizzle with caramel sauce and serve.
Image credits: Unless otherwise stated: ©Angela Darroch, ©Pro Stock Media via Canva.com or ©Unsplash.com. As an Amazon affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases. The links marked with an asterisk (*) are so-called commission links. If you click on one of these links and make a purchase, I receive a commission from your purchase. This income helps us to run this website and to provide our recipes free of charge. The price does not change for you.