Carrot cake is a classic dessert that can be enjoyed any time of year. This recipe for homemade carrot cake with cream cheese icing is the perfect way to enjoy this classic. It is moist and flavorful, and the lemonish cream cheese icing is the perfect finishing touch. This easy carrot cake is sure to become a favorite in your household. Enjoy!
How do you make carrot cake?
There are many different recipes for carrot cake, but most include ingredients such as carrots, flour, sugar, eggs, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg. The carrots are grated thin or finely chopped before being added to the batter.
Can I use butter instead of oil in carrot cake?
Yes, you can use butter instead of oil in this easy carrot cake. The texture of this homemade carrot cake will be denser if you use butter, but it will still be moist and delicious.
What is the best cream cheese frosting?
There are many different recipes for cream cheese frosting, but they all generally contain cream cheese, butter and powdered sugar. You can add other flavors to the frosting if you like, such as cinnamon, vanilla or a slight hint of muscato.
How long does carrot cake last?
Carrot cake will usually stay fresh in the refridgerator for 3-4 days if it is stored in an airtight container or bag. If you want it to last longer, you can freeze it for up to 3 months. Best is to freeze the pieces pre cut and seperately.
Juicy Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese icing
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 50 g butter at room temperature
- 250 g cream cheese chilled
- 275 g icing sugar sifted
- Juice from ½ a lime
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas 4. Grease and line two x 20cm x 4cm sandwich tins. Alternatively, you can use a high sandwich tin pan and cut the dough crosswise in the middle after baking.
- In a large bowl, mix the carrots, pistachios and lime zest and leave to the side.
- Into another bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and spices into a bowl. Add the eggs, sugar and oil and whisk well. Fold the carrot mixture into the flour and egg mixture and mix well until just combined.
- Divide the mixture evenly into the two sandwich tins and bake in the middle of the oven for 30 – 35 mins. Test with a skewer and once done, leave to rest for 10 minutes before removing from the tins.
- Remove the cakes from the tins and leave until completely cool on a wire rack.
- For the Cream Cheese Frosting, whisk the butter until light and fluffy. Add the cream cheese and whisk until well combined. Add the icing sugar and lime juice and whisk until well combined and nice and thick.
- Add cream cheese frosting to the top of one cake and sandwich the remaining cake on top. Add more cream cheese to the top layer and a thin layer all around the sides.
- Decorate (I made some pistachio praline which I then blitzed and sprinkled on the top).